2009 NCNR/NSF Summer School Course Materials
The following documents are in PDF format. You can download the free Adobe Reader to view them.
The lecture presentations will be posted here as they come available.
- Shape Fluctuations of a Spherical Surfactant Shell in a Microemulsion - Group A
- Hydration water dynamics near d-NAGMA studied by DCS - Group B
- Study of α-relaxation in PVME - Group C
- A study of CdCr2O4 using SPINS - Group D
- Adventures in Spin Waves - Group E
Lectures and Invited Talks
- Science with Neutrons - Dan Neumann
- Fundamental Properties of the Neutron: Part 1 - M.S. Dewey
- Fundamental Properties of the Neutron: Part 2a - M.S. Dewey
- Fundamental Properties of the Neutron: Part 2b - M.S. Dewey
- How Neutrons Are Produced - Robert E. Williams
- Dynamics and Neutron Scattering - John Copley
- Neutron Spin Echo - Mainstream and Bizarroids - Bela Farago
- Choosing the Right Neutron Spectrometer - Peter Gehring
- Iron-Based Magnetic Superconductors - Jeff Lynn
Introduction to Neutron Scattering
Roger Pynn of Los Alamos National Laboratories has written a thorough series of lectures intended as an introduction to neutron scattering.
- Neutron Scattering - A Primer
- LECTURE 1: Introduction & Neutron Scattering “Theory”
- LECTURE 2: Neutron Scattering Instrumentation & Facilities
- LECTURE 6: Inelastic Scattering
Inelastic Neutron Scattering Instrumentation
- The high-flux backscattering spectrometer at the NIST Center for Neutron Research by A. Meyer, et. al.
- The Disk Chopper Spectrometer at NIST: a new instrument for quasielastic neutron scattering studies by J.R.D. Copley, et. al.
- Time-of-flight spectroscopy and the Disk Chopper Spectrometer - John Copley
- A Lecture on the Neutron Spin-Echo Technique
- The Neutron Spin-Echo Technique and The Basic Equations on Neutron Spin-Echo
- BT7 Triple-Axis Experiment Handout - Magnetic Phase Transition and Spin Wave Excitations in the Colossal Magnetoresistive Manganites: An Experiment Using the BT7 Triple-Axis Spectrometer
- DCS Experiment Handout - Hydration water dynamics near biological surfaces: an experiment using the NCNR Disk Chopper Spectrometer
- HFBS Experiment Handout - Study of Methyl Group Rotations and Primary Relaxations in Poly(Vinyl Methyl Ether)
- NSE Experiment Handout - Shape fluctuations of a spherical surfactant shell in a microemulsion
- SPINS Experiment Handout - The Magnetic Correlations and Fluctuations in the Geometrically Frustrated Antiferromagnetic Spinel CdCr2O4: An Experiment Using the SPINS Triple-Axis Spectrometer