Boualem Hammouda is a scientist in the Center for Neutron Research of the Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, MD. He has been at NIST since 1989.
- MSE then PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1980).
- Small-angle neutron scattering (SANS) from polymers and complex fluids.
- Effects of pressure and shear on structure and phase transitions in soft materials.
- Understanding clustering and solvation in water-soluble polymers and polyelectrolyes.
- The helix-to-coil denaturation transition in DNA and other biomimetics projects.
- A.Z. Akcasu, B. Hammouda, T.P. Lodge and C.C. Han, "Dynamic Scattering from Bimodal Polymer Solutions. Apparent Diffusion Coefficient", Macromolecules 17, 759-766 (1984)
- A.Z. Akcasu, B. Hammouda, W.H. Stockmayer and G. Tanaka, "First Cumulant for Chains with Constraints", J. Chem. Phys. 85, 4734-4743 (1986)
- B. Hammouda, R. Briber and B. Bauer, "SANS from PSD/PVME/PSH Ternary Polymer Blend", Polymer Communications 33, 1785-1787 (1992)
- B. Hammouda, "SANS from Homogeneous Polymer Systems: a Unified Overview", Advances in Polym. Sci., 106, 87-133 (1993)
- B. Hammouda, "Scattering from Mixtures of Flexible and Stiff Polymers", J. Chem. Phys. 98, 3439-3444 (1993)
- H. Benoit, J.F. Joanny, G. Hadziioannou and B. Hammouda,"Scattering by Linear, Branched and Copolymer Chain Molecules for Large Scattering Vectors", Macromolecules 26, 7590-5795 (1993)
- N. Balsara and B. Hammouda, "Shear Effects on Block Copolymer Lamellae", Physical Review Letters 72, 360-363 (1994)
- B. Hammouda and M. Benmouna, "Neutron Scattering from Compressed Polymer Blends", J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Phys. Ed. 33, 2359-2364 (1995)
- B. Hammouda, N.P. Balsara and A. Lefebvre, "SANS from Pressurized PEB/PMB Polymer Blends", Macromolecules 30, 5572-5574 (1997)
- B. Hammouda, "SANS from Polymers Under Pressure: a Short Review", Neutron News 12, 20-24 (2001)
- B. Hammouda, D. Ho and S. Kline, "Neutron Scattering from Associating PEO Systems", Macromolecules 35, 8578-8585 (2002)
- B. Hammouda, D. Ho and S. Kline, "Insight into Clustering in Poly(ethylene oxide) Solutions", Macromolecules 37, 6932-6937 (2004)
- B. Hammouda, F. Horkay and M. Becker, "Clustering and Solvation in Poly(acrylic acid)Polyelectrolyte Solutions", Macromolecules 38, 2019-2021 (2005).
- D.F.R. Mildner, B. Hammouda and S. Kline, "A Refractive Focussing LensSystem for SANS", J. Appl. Cryst. 38, 979-987 (2005).
- D. Ho, B. Hammouda, S. Kline and WR Chen, "Unusual Phase Behavior in Mixtures of Poly(ethylene oxide) and Ethyl Alcohol", J. Polymer Science, Polym. Phys. Ed. 44, 557-564 (2006).
- L. A. Hough , M. F. Islam, B. Hammouda, A. G. Yodh, and P. A. Heiney, "Structure of High Weight Fraction Single Wall Carbon Nanotube Suspensions and Gels", Nano Letters 6, 313-317 (2006).
- B. Hammouda, "Solvation Characteristics of a Model Water-Soluble Polymer", J. Polymer Science, Polymer Phys. Ed. 44, 3195-3199 (2006)
- B. Hammouda and D. Worcester, "The Denaturation Transition of DNA in Mixed Solvents", Biophysical Journal, 91, 2237-2242 (2006).
- B. Hammouda and D. Mildner, "SANS Resolution with Refractive Optics", J. Appl. Cryst. 40, 250-259 (2007).
- A.E. Whitten, D.A. Jacques, B. Hammouda, T. Hanley, G.F. King, J.M. Guss, J. Trewhella, and D.B. Langley, "The structure of the Sda-KinA Complex Suggests an Allosteric Mechanism of Histidine Kinase Inhibition", J. Molecular Biology 368, 407-420 (2007).
- B. Hammouda and D. Ho, "Insight into Chain Dimensions in PEO/Water Solutions", J. Polymer Science, Polym. Phys. Ed. 45, 2196-2200 (2007).
- T. Owen, R. Pynn, B. Hammouda and A. Butler, "Metal-Dependent Self Asembly of a Microbial Surfactant", Langmuir (accepted, 2007).
- Instrument development: data acquisition and instrument control.
- Was in charge of the construction and has been responsible for the NG3 SANS instrument at NIST since 1989. This facility is used by over 150 users per year, resulting in over 50 publications.
- Boualem Hammouda
National Institute of Standards and Technology
100 Bureau Drive, Bldg. 235, Stop 8562
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8562
- (301) 975-3961 (Office), (301) 921-9847 (fax), (301) 975-4163 (NG3 SANS)