- BAC Lycee Pasteur, Oran Algeria, 1978
- BS Chemistry/Physics, Baker University, Kansas, 1982
- PhD Chemistry, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Tennessee, 1991
- Post-Doc, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Tennessee, 1992-1995
- Post-Doc, ORNL, Oak Ridge Tennessee, 1995-1997
- Research Chemist, NIST/NCNR, 1997-2000
- Staff Scientist, ORNL Neutron Scattering Group, 2000-2004
- Team Leader, NIST Center for Neutron Reaserch, 2004-present
Broadly, my interests are in characterization of the structure and dynamics of colloidal systems as a means of better understanding the physics and chemistry of these complex and fascinating systems. Current/recent projects include:
- Understanding the phase chemistry and mechanisms of membrane protein crystallization templates.
- Dynamics (effect of shear and surface proximity) in membrane phases (sponge, lamellar, microemulsion).
- Electrostatics and counterion effects on the the structure and dynamics in 1D and 2D extended surfactant structures and the relationship between worm flexibility (1D bending modulus) and lamellar bending moduli.
- Structure, orientation, dynamics and interactions in Polymer/Clay mixed systems.
- Porcar,L.; Hamilton, W. A.; Butler, P. D.; Warr G. G. Phys. Rev. Let.. "Experimental Evindence of a Topological Relaxation Time in a Sponge Phase" (In Press)
- Malwitz, M. M.; Dundigalla, A.; Ferreiro, V.; Butler, P. D.; Henk, M. C.; Schmidt, G. J. Phys. Chem.. "Layered Structures of Shear-Oriented and Multilayered PEO/Silicate Nanocomposite Films" (In Press)
- Porcar,L.; Hamilton, W. A.; Butler, P. D.; Warr G. G. Langmuir 19, 10779 (2003). "Scaling of structural and rheological response of L-3 sponge phases in the 'sweetened' cetylpyridinium/hexanol/dextrose/brine system"
- Lynn, G. W.; Buchanan, M. V.; Butler, P. D.; Magid, L. J.; Wignall, G. D. J. Appl. Cryst. 36, 829 (2003). "High Flux SANS Instrumentation and the Center for Structural and Molecular Biology at Oak Ridge National Laboratory"
- Porcar,L.; Hamilton, W. A.; Butler, P. D.; Warr G. G. Phys. Rev. Let. 89, 168301 (2002). "Scaling of shear-induced transformations in membrane phases"
- Butler, P. D.; Porcar,L.; Hamilton, W. A.; Warr G. G. Phys. Rev. Let. 88, 059601 (2002). "Evidence of a sponge-to-lamellar phase transition under shear by x-ray scattering experiments in a Couette cell"
- Ivkov, R.; Bulter, P. D.; Satija, S. K.; Fetters, L. J. Langmuir 17, 2999 (2001). "Effect of Solvent Flow on a Polymer Brush: A Neutron Reflectivity Study on the Brush Height and Chain Density Profile"
- Schulz, J. C.; Warr, G. G.; Hamilton, W. A.; Butler, P. D. Physical Review E 63, 041604 (2001). "Adsorbed Layer Structure of Cationic Surfactants on Quartz"
- Magid, L. J.; Li, Z.; Butler, P. D. Langmuir 16, 10028-10036 (2000). "Flexibility of elongated sodium dodecyl sulfate micelles in aqueous sodium chloride: A small-angle neutron scattering study"
- Butler, P. Current Opinion in Colloid & Interface Science 4, 214-221 (1999). "Shear induced structures and transformations in complex fluids"
- I'm pretty sure I had some once.
- Paul Butler
National Institute of Standards and Technology
100 Bureau Drive, Bldg. 235, Stop 8562
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8562
- (301)975-2028 (office), (301)921-9847 (fax)