The NIST-SANS/Boulder Couette Shear Cell (BSC)
The NIST-SANS Couette-type shear cell consists of an inner quartz cylindrical stator (O.D. = 59mm for 1mm gap; 60mm for .5mm gap) and an outer quartz cylindrical rotor (I.D. = 61mm). Sample volumes required are approximately 11 ml to fill the .5 mm gap cell, and about 14 ml to fill the 1 mm gap cell.
The shear cell is capable of producing steady shear rates from 0.00001 revolution per second (rps) to 10 rps, with conversion factors being 389 Hz/rps for the .5 mm gap and 191 Hz/rps for the 1 mm gap cell. It is also capable of oscillatory shear (by specifying shear rate, acceleration and displacement (strain)) and time-slicing of reversible shear-induced behaviors on the order of tens of milliseconds or longer.
The empty shear cell with the stator raised (L). A 3/4" hole in the Invar interior to the quartz cup stator accomodates a 1/2" diameter incident beam on the sample. The exit side (R) of the shear cell has a larger opening in the stator to accomodate scattering from samples.
Recent publications that used the Couette Shear Cell:
- "Investigating microstructure of concentrated suspensions of anisotropic particles under shear by small angle neutron scattering" Mock EB, Zukoski CF. J Rheo. 51(3), 541 (2007)
- "Shear-Induced Layered Structure of Polymeric Micelles by SANS" Jiang J, Burger C, Li C, Li J, Lin MY, Colby RH, Rafailovich MH, Sokolo. Macromol. 40(11), 4016 (2007)
- "Effect of Temperature on Shear-Induced Anisotropic Structure in Polymer Clay Hydrogels" Li J, Jiang J, Li C, Lin MY, Schwarz SA, Rafailovich MH, Sokolov J. Macromol. Rapdi Comm. 27(20), 1787 (2006)
- "Small-angle neutron scattering of silica nanoparticles templated in PEO-PPO-PEO cubic crystals" Pozzo DC, Walker LM. Coll. & Surf. A 294(1-3), 117 (2007)
- "Rheological Properties and Small-Angle Neutron Scattering of a Shear Thickening, Nanoparticle Dispersion at High Shear Rates" Lee YS, Wagner NJ. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 45(21), 7015 (2006)
- "Dynamic Responses in Polymer-Clay Gels" Loizou E, Butler P, Porcar L, Malwitz M, Schmidt G. Mat. Res Soc. Symp. 840, Q2.7.1 (2006)
- "SANS and XRR Porosimetry of a Polyphenylene Low-k Dielectric" Silverstein MS, Bauer BJ, Hedden RC, Lee H-J, Landes BG. Macromol. 39(8), 2998 (2006)
- "Clustering and mechanics in dense depletion and thermal gels" Ramakrishnan S, et al. Langmuir 21(12), 9917 (2005)
- "Shear-Induced Collapse of in a Lyotropic Lamellar Phase" Porcar L, et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95(7), 078302 (2005)
- "The rheology and microstructure of acicular precipitated calcium carbonate colloidal suspensions through the shear thickening transition" Egres RG, et al. J Rheol. 49(3), 719 (2005)
Last modified 29-August-2012 by website owner: NCNR (attn: Jeff Krzywon)