The sample environment team will use the shutdown to perform deferred
maintenance on existing systems, test and install new equipment, renovate
and enhance usability of work space, and investigate ongoing questions
about how to get the best performance out of our equipment. The
major projects to be undertaken are listed below:
For questions about sample environment equipment and the
user laboratories, contact
- Laboratory specific projects
- Finish construction of new user laboratory.
- Update the laboratory website to include new laboratory spaces, equipment, supplies, and safety information
- Begin the planning process for future laboratory renovations (six new laboratories and the renovation of an existing laboratory)
- Complete web-based laboratory training presentation for users.
- Installation and testing of new variable-temperature insert in 10T magnet and deployment of helium-3 refrigerator for 7T magnet.
- Recommissioning of the 11.5 Tesla magnet with dilution refrigerator.
- Maintenance of entire cryostat fleet, including ILLs and low-T cryostats.
- Maintenance of bottom-loading CCR fleet, including testing and deployment of swivel fittings for hose management.
- Development and commissioning of ?newly improved? high temperature bottom loading CCRs
- Acquisition of support equipment including new sample positioners, vacuum pumps, and sensors among others
- Implement a new user sample preparation area.
- Commissioning of a computer controlled gas-loading manifold
- Development of a SANS multi-stage sample block changer designed for fast temperature equilibration